Ferny Advanced Sporting Teams is the premier sporting program at Ferny Grove State High School. This innovative athlete development program runs from year 7 to 9, with identified pathways into the senior years. Applications are accepted from incoming year 7 students who wish to be selected into the program.
Why apply for FAST?
The FAST program allows students the opportunity to enrol in a sport centred and athlete focused class for the whole school year. The program aims to support individual athletes to set and achieve their sporting goals as they work towards maximising their performance in their chosen sport. The program focuses on developing well rounded athletes who understand both the mental and physical aspects of performance and assists them in becoming positive role models and leaders within their sporting communities.
Students will commit to participating in two practical lessons and one theory lesson each week for the whole year. The two practical lessons will consist of one skills based session and one conditioning session and the theory will be aligned to the Australian HPE curriculum with an athlete centred focus.
- Applicants must be prepared to undergo physical testing and assessment;
- Applicants must possess a proven high standard of behaviour and effort within a school community;
- Applicants must possess the ability to work in a team and the willingness to accept constructive feedback to improve performance;
- Applicants must be prepared to promote and exemplify the values of the FAST program within the community;
- Applicants must be prepared to compete to the best of their ability as a FAST athlete within the designated tournaments;
- Applicants must be able to meet the financial requirements of the program.
Once the below selection process is complete, successful applications will receive written confirmation of acceptance into the program:
- Expresses applicants’ interest in the FAST program
- Can be accessed via the school website
- Cardiovascular endurance
- Movement skills
- Game concepts and strategies
- Teamwork and communication
a. Conducted between selection panel and a representative from the applicant’s Primary School
Successful applicants will incur a $200 fee as part of the program. This covers:
- FAST playing and training gear
- Entrance into the School’s Touch League tournaments
- Subsidised refereeing and coaching qualifications
- Regular visits from athletes and professional sporting organisation representatives
- Access to training programs designed by qualified personal trainers
- Met North trial fees covered