Open the Door to a Bigger World!
The German Immersion program at Ferny Grove
State High School offers students an exciting opportunity to develop a very high level of German language proficiency through learning the regular curriculum in German. It is the next best thing to students living in a German-speaking country.
How does it work?
Students learn exactly the same curriculum as other students during Years 7, 8 and 9 in German.
Core subjects include:
German, Science, Humanities and Health and Physical Education.
In Year 10, students continue to learn Science and Humanities in German, and begin the Year 11 program of the Senior German course.
Additionally, the German Immersion electives across the 4 year course include Agriculture, Art, Digital Technology and a STEM unit.
An Exciting Exchange Program
Towards the end of Year 10, students have the opportunity to travel to Germany on a three-week exchange program. Students stay with German families, attend school and tour Germany. We also host German students from these schools early each year. Our two partner schools are Schiller Gymnasium in Muenster and Luitpold Gymnasium in Munich.
Benefits of the Program
- Students acquire knowledge of the German language to a high level and experience the rich variety of German culture.
- It enhances intercultural knowledge through interactions with German speakers within and outside of German speaking countries.
- It enhances flexibility of thinking, problem solving and critical thinking skills through learning the curriculum in German.
- It promotes persistence and risk-taking in learning.
- It boosts understanding of English literacy through becoming explicitly aware that languages use a system (grammar) to communicate.
- It opens doors to study and career opportunities, especially in Europe where German is the most widely spoken language.
- It provides opportunities in Year 12 (after completing Senior German in Year 11) to study German Extension, which also contributes to an ATAR.
- Students can study with other German language students from around the world through the Partner School of the Future Program (PASCH network). Fully-funded scholarships to Germany are awarded annually to two outstanding students of German.
- Opportunity to sit the 'Fit in Deutsch 2' examination, an examination conducted globally by the Goethe Institut, to demonstrate German language ability against the common European benchmark A2.
Graduates of the German Immersion program have traditionally achieved well and are highly motivated students.
How do I apply?
Parents of interested students indicate their interest in Year 6 by completing an Expression of Interest for Enrolment Form and an Expression Of Interest - Signature Programs Form. On this latter form, you need to indicate your preference for German Immersion. Students are selected on the basis of their primary school results, recommendations by their primary classroom and language teachers and evidence of their motivation to learn within the program. Successful applicants are motivated students and are above average academically. Students are expected to commit to the program for three years.
Please note Applications for the German Immersion program for 2022 have closed.
For more information, please call the Languages staffroom on 3550 5863, or the Head of Department on 3550 5861.